Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Other Big Decision...

So, the other big decision we are trying to make right now is where to have the ceremony. Our choices are: At the catholic church that we both went to growing up, my Gramby's church which is a block away and the minister is the father of one of my best friends, or not at a church (leaning away from this).

The advantages of the catholic church are that it is OUR church that we have attended since baptism... I went to the attached catholic school (as did chaz... same kindergarten class...) and Chaz was an altar boy until leaving for college. The cons are that it really is not OUR church anymore, since we do not live locally, and we only go on Christmas and Easter. Also, last Easter, we were married to Jesus... so I am not sure I even still get the whole feel for the place.

The advantages of Gramby's church are that I also have been hanging around from a very young age, my Gramby has been going there since she was in high school, and Elisa's dad is the minister. So it is not just some guy with a license to wed, he has known Chaz and I since high school. I guess the disadvantages are that the place has more to do with me than Chaz.

Finally, we don't even go to church anymore so should any of this stuff even matter? SHould we just pick the place that will look best in the pictures / not require crazy classes? What do you have to do in the crazy classes anyway?

4 comments:

Becky said...

The classes aren't so bad, try to do the all day event one and get it over in one shot. Avoid the weekend retreat! I say go with your church from childhood. The significance is nice..and it doesn't matter if you don't go there, we never set foot in the church we were married in until we were looking for churches.

Becky said...

I think the harder question is will they marry you on a weekday...

Sarah B. said...

I can't give you any advice on the classes. Miguel and I didn't have to take any. As for the church, I agree with Becky. Go with the church you consider "Our church". It does have a nice significance, it will make the ceremony more romantic and personal. Good luck!

aunt cathy said...

Nannie would like to see a church wedding, she feels a civil ceremony are over very quickly and you lose the impotance of the moment and that it gives your friends more time to take pictures. She also hopes there is time after the ceremony for all to get dinner before (and I quote) "the partee". My concern is if you do a civil cermony where would it be, but in the end it may come down to who will do it on New Years eve.